Friday, July 15, 2005

What's In My ROTH IRA

Today I logged into my ROTH IRA for the first time since I started it in March.

I put $5,000 into it and just left it there. I called Ameritrade for my username/password and found out that my account value is $5,032!



Apparently it was all sitting in some sort of money market account building interest. I'll slowly start hunting for places to put that 5k.

On a different note......
I had a cool post prepared to put up, but I nixed it because I got a great business idea from it! No one has done anything like it before, and it can easily be a very very simple way to earn $1,000+ every month.


I'll have the site and service fully operational within two weeks or a month max. No public details yet.

I've also found out that having my name so closely associated with this site has its drawbacks....when I try to negotiate a deal, people KNOW I have at least $X amount of money, so I can't pull the "I can't afford that!" routine.

-Nev

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Does it involve another deprived homeless man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 AM

    Booze, Lottery Tickets, taking advantage of mentally unstable homeless people......when does the madness end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in doubt about where to put money in a brokerage acount SPY (SP 500) is always a good option. Congratulations for funding the IRA.

    For tips on where to set up an IRA or Roth IRA (for RJ Christensen): if you have a bit of capital (a few thousand), use Vanguard.com and the SP 500, or use Scotttrade or Ameritrade IZONE: http://www.izone.com/ and choose either SPY (SP500 again), or stable companies (since you are just starting). I like to use stock screens for above $500M in market cap, Lower than 20 in P/E, higher than 3% in dividend yield, and I throw some subjective meassure like: More than 4 out of 5 stars according to Standard & Poor's rating (this last one is optional).

    Money and Investing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Hey Neville,

    Speaking of business ideas, I'm going around today inviting pf bloggers and their readers to a site that I just launched today, www.networthiq.com. It's inspired by you and your fellow bloggers that post your financial status in your blog. I invite you to check it out and let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:43 PM

    Nev, tell me something:
    Why don't you buy that Honda CBR600RR bike you've been looking at? You have the finances, as well as the guarantee for future finances. cold feet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:49 PM

    why not invest in a HY CD?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got to give you props, man. Reading your blog is refreshingly new.

    Consider it added to my set of blog links (which I check bi-monthly).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope someday we can look back at your empire and say that it all started with a simple dream and an army of homeless guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem so aggressive with your stock portfolio, but you leave your Roth IRA in cash? Let's see some action! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:33 AM

    I don't think Neville knew you could invest your IRA in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:26 AM

    Unfortunately, your Money Market account will be earning less than inflation, so while it is better than nothing, you are effectively losing money over time (to inflation).

    I would suggest investing the money in a broad stock index (since you are young and can take quite a bit of risk), such as the Vanguard Total Stock Market VIPER (ETF): see the symbol VTI (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=VTI) or moving the money to a Vanguard Roth IRA account (minimum: $3000).

    In any case, congratulations for recognizing the value of retirement investing early on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:36 PM

    I thought the limit on Roths for this year is 4K in contributions. Did you contribute all 5K in the same fiscal/calendar year?

    ReplyDelete

Please restrict your comments to the topic at hand, for the benefit of all who may be reading. Thank you!
-Neville
NevBlog Comment Policy.