Res tantum valet quantum vendi potest
This is a Latin quotation which translates to: "A thing is worth only what someone else will pay for it"
I have this quote posted on my wall upon the advice of Burton Malkiel in A Random Walk Down Wall Street. I am attemting to sell condos this weekend, so I must keep this in mind.
good luck with the condo sells.. let us all know how u do. a part of me is interested in getting that going too.. hmm
ReplyDelete"Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."
ReplyDeleteHi Neville,
If you are only going to hold funds from a particular company in your Roth (e.g. vanguard funds or fidelity funds) then the cheapest way is to open the IRA directly through them. However, I don't like being locked in like that (a vanguard IRA chares $35 per trade of a non-approved fund) so I recommend BrownCo, which offers $5 trades. You shouldn't be doing much trading in an IRA anyway, so $5 is chump change.
Also, if you haven't filed your taxes for 2004 yet, you can make both a $3k contribution for 2004 AND a $4k contribution for 2005 at the same time. Or wait until later in the year for the 2005 contribution.
(Latin translation from above: "Anything said in Latin sounds profound."